Sunday, June 30, 2013

sandi_SL4-28

ROUTE: neighborhood/bff
TEMP: 88*F
TRIP: 16.97 miles
START TIME: 11:00hrs
TOTAL TIME: 1:23:39
GOAL: breathing and rhythm, increasing cadence
OF NOTE: the wind came from the northwest at a constant 12 mph. the gusts were strong and frequent.
today was a ride with my hubby. he couldn't stand it any longer and decided to go for a ride. of course, i joined him. doc said he could start riding the bike again with no stress. he did a really good job at keeping it down. he told me, after getting home, that his cadence was way off and he was having trouble keeping the consistency. he will take it slow and not stress the left knee as he regains his rhythm and works his way back to his normal pace.
we went on my route with a stop at Elliots Hardware Store. the ride went flawless until i decided to cross the oncoming lanes to the middle of the road. my right shoe was clipped as i rode out. when i went to put my right foot down, i couldn't. i went down in the middle separating the east and west bound lanes. fell on the right side and pushed my bike off me hard and let it fall. hubby tried to catch it but it fell on it's left side. my upper body was slightly in the left lane of the west bound side. all i got was a small scrap on my right elbow and a slight road scrape on my right shin just below the knee. i looked at the bike, chain was off. had to walk the bike across to a grassy area where i fixed the chain and sat on the grass. i was so frustrated that my shoe wouldn't unclip.
STUPID! never should have done that. lesson learned. wait until all traffic is clear b4 proceeding. sitting on the grass after fixing the chain, i rested and got myself together. getting back on the bike, i continued on the ride. sometimes i just get too impatient. better work on my patience a bit more.
i also need to work on my ability to keep rhythm/cadence when the wind is blowing in my face. i tend to downshift and slow my rhythm. if i don't change that, i won't make climbing hills easier for me. nor will i be consistent. i will concentrate on that more as continue to get better.
ride overall was really good. i so enjoyed riding with my hubby and not behind him. i think there will be one, maybe two, more rides with him. then it will prolly go back to riding alone. he is so much faster than i am. he really likes the road. i like the dirt. maybe one day we'll go on a dirt trail and enjoy the scenery.
something that also happened: my chain was apparently more messed up than i thought when i went down. hubby had me pull into TSC so he could check cuz he didn't want me to continue or finish the ride with a bad chain. the shifting was not working correctly and he wanted to make sure it was safe. i was willing to wait until we got home. but he didn't want me to wait. he parked his bike and i let him look at mine. he realigned the changer and made sure as best he could that the gears shift worked smoother. it made it worse tho. but he immediately took care of it when we got home.
my hubby is the best. looking forward to the next ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i appreciate feedback and that u took time to read my blog.