Sunday, August 18, 2013

trails - 18.08.2013

today just after lunch, hubby and i ventured to some dirt trails nearby. i haven't been on dirt trails in many years. so i was itching to get back. the trails were really nice and maintained. challenges were plenty and spread throughout the ride.

the first section started off like i remembered trails to be, easy and enjoyable. but small challenges were thrown in, which i did have some difficulty with. hubby, however, went for it. believe it or not, i didn't trust my bike, nor did i turn the wheel a few times to make it turn. i leaned it with a slight turning motion. NOT supposed to do that. real easy to meet a tree that way. it took a while for me to at least relax on the bike and let it do the work.
on trail 2, there were a few places that the trees were really close together, barely enough space for the bike. and one or two were coming off turns. i got thru them ok but when it came to riding over the tree roots sticking up, i would slow down and have difficulty getting over them. but since this was my first time in years on dirt trails, i did ok. on another trail section, i was goin' along really well until a tight turn over tree roots with cliff ledge/path made me slam on the brakes. i ended up very close to a tree with me sideways on the trail. didn't come off it, tho i stood there for quite awhile. 2 bikers passed by me before i restarted on the trail.
having never really ridden those kinds of trails before, i started getting apprehensive. but i quickly put that behind and asked God to help me focus and enjoy the ride. u know what? He did. i calmed down and focused on the trail ahead of me. there were quite a few "scary" sections. but the challenge to ride them really motivated me.
another part of the trail made me stop and look at the challenge. the path was easy for some distance then a right curve downhill with stone bridge and steep incline on other side. the challenge was to make the right curve goin' downhill with speed to climb the tree-rooted steep incline which then curved to the left. it took me several minutes to gather myself and then just go for it. asking God to help me, i pushed off and pedalled down the curved hill and up the other side with speed. i was ecstatic! hubby waited for me to make the challenge.
another challenge came up in the form of an 'S' with trees on both sides and a limb making a "low bridge". i was goin' at a good clip, saw the curve coming up and hit the brakes to slow a bit. i made the first curve but did not make the second. my right handle bar hit the tree on the right and sent me into another tree on the left, which i hit with my right hand palm and thumb area. my right leg was scraped by the front sprocket, which drew blood, my left knee hit the overgrown ground. my left arm was scraped up by the same tree as my right hand. had i not put up my right hand to take the hit on the tree to my left, my head would have taken the impact. and i don't need another head injury. after standing up, i checked myself to make sure nothing was broken. all good. since hubby was a distance ahead of me, i finally called out, "i'm down!" he quickly returned and helped me with my bike and i cleaned up a bit. i then remounted my bike and continued on the ride.
nothing more happened but i was apprehensive again. in fact, when i came up on two trees close together, i actually stopped, put my hand on the tree to the right and "walked" my bike between them. but i asked God once again, "please help me" and each time i asked, he answered by giving me a calm feeling and peace. so thankful to Him for helping me accomplish this challenge. the scars will heal but until they do, i have proof i can make it.

we will again ride those trails. and once again, i'll come up on those that caused me to hesitate. i will take the challenge and finish it. taking the trail slow and deliberate will help me make the challenges go smoothly. can't wait 'til we r able to go out again. 8)

No comments:

Post a Comment

i appreciate feedback and that u took time to read my blog.