Sunday, July 6, 2014

nite ride gone bad...5July2014

what started out as a really nice ride turned bad in a blink of an eye.

i had decided to take a nite as the daytime was a bit too hot and humid. so when the sun was almost gone, i got ready for my ride. after making sure my tires were ready, i checked to make sure my back light and front lights worked. as i rode my warm-up i actually felt really good, so off i went on my ride. i went up Kearney to Galloway as i was contemplating on taking 80 service road to Gross and home. i had never gone that way. after turning left onto the service road i started gearing up for the climb i knew was coming. however, with it being dark, i didn't see the pothole that has been there a long time. i hit it full force and blew both my tire and innertube. i had not had a flat tire in a very long time. think the last time was on old Shwinn when i was a kid. anyway, after the tire blew, i rode a short distance before actually noticing my front tire was flat. once i realized it was, i started to slow down rather quickly making it to a parking lot.

as i turned in i tried unclipping but the left would not and down i went, hard. landind hard on left knee, elbow, palm of left hand. it took me a few minutes to make sure nothing was broken.

sitting with both legs strait out, i saw the large scrap just below my knee. i felt the sting of road rash on left elbow and searing pain in thumb base. at first i thought it was broke but i was able to move it after a short time. i then turned my attention to the bike.

as i sat on the concrete, i maneuvered the bike upside down so i could change the tire. it was a bit difficult as i was doing it all from a sitting position.

the front tire came easy enough. but getting my tool kit opened was a small challenge. but i did get it opened and ended pulling everything out. placing the tire gently on top of my legs, i struggled to get the tire off the rim. my left hand was not gripping things well and every time i got the tire started, the tire jig would let loose. the tire finally came off.

i found the puncture in the tire and patched it nicely. i then checked the inner tube and found that it was cut twice parallel in same spot. i put the new one in and proceeded to put a little air in before putting tire back on. however, the emergency CO 2 would tighten cuz the lead was too short. i tried several times before deciding to put the tire back on and walk home.

getting the tire back on proved more difficult and i was really wishing for some help to show up. so i asked Daddy to send help and tell my hubby i was down. however, none came for quite a while. i had no idea of time cuz i did not look at my bike computer which had the time. i know i was there for about 30 min alone.

i finally got up and tried putting my tire back on but it still wouldn't go. i am now really getting frustrated but i get that under control. after moving my bike and stuff to the curb, a car pulled up and asked if i was ok and told me they had called 911. a short time later, police showed up. about 10 mins later, an ambulance showed up. i was checked and not taken to hospital per my choice. in all, 3 police cars were there. the car that stopped let me call home and my hubby came out to help me and take me home.

for a ride that should have taken 1.5 hrs, ended up being 2.15 min with most of that time being on the ground. not really condusive to a successful ride. got home around 2345 hrs. i am in a bit of pain, but i will be fine. however, Roadie will need a rest until we get proper replacement tube.

frame, front wheel r undamaged. very happy about that. i will be putting a bit of oil in shoe clips and attachment piece. maybe next time i will be able to unclip. all in all, God definitely had his hand under me cuz it could have been a lot worse. THANK U DADDY for protecting me and keeping safe.

until next ride... 8)

No comments:

Post a Comment

i appreciate feedback and that u took time to read my blog.